Pyleoclim Tutorials

Hi all,
the LinkedEarth team is hard at work putting together a library of examples and tutorials so that anyone can quickly figure out how to do their favorite bit of research using LinkedEarth tools, do it fast, better and have more fun with it.

This is an open call for tutorials that YOU, our dear users, would like to see. We’ll be having an internal hackathon Aug 8 -12 to generate as many of those tutorials as we can. They will be available as Jupyter Notebooks on various public repositories, but we also will convert a subset of those to YouTube videos. Here’s what we need from you at this point:

• a description of what you would like a tutorial about ; if it’s about reproducing a published analysis, please link to the paper/section/figure in question. If not, please be as descriptive as you can.
  • an indication of what you would like as a YouTube video (e.g. upvoting suggestions from other users).
  • an indication of your availability to collaborate, if you are open to it. (we’ll provide tech support, you can drive the science).

We cannot promise to honor all requests, but we will do our best!

Julien, for LinkeEarth

1 Like

I found the Paleohackathon super useful. Thanks so much for it! I would love to learn more about statistically robust ways to do data-model comparisons including extracting modeling data from ESGF, comparing this data to gridded measured datasets like GNIP and suitably binned data from proxies.

2 Likes

That sounds like a lot of fun Nikita! I imagine you have a SISAL application in mind? Which model simulations are you most interested in comparing to? And can you give us a link to the version of GNIP you want to use?

To me, it sounds complicated! It would be really nice to get to a point where this is fun:)

Yes, I was thinking about SISAL.

• I would like to compare isotope records across a deglaciation in models and in speleothems. I am not very familiar with model data.
  • I don’t think there are many transient simulations from isotope enabled climate models. This is one example: https://doi.org/10.1029/2019PA003599
  • And maybe salinity from non-isotope enabled models in the NA region.
  • I was thinking of GNIP data for getting some idea of modern baseline measurements. We have used the 2018 version in the past I think: https://nucleus.iaea.org/ wiser. Or maybe waterisotopes.org.
  • Is there something handy that you already have for salinity? Or I can ask around and see which would be recommended for this region with data available on ESGF.

Thanks Julien!

Thank you for the precisions, Nikita. This is a great example of paleoclimate model-data confrontation, and will serve as a good guidepost for how to create such a tutorial. It might take us a couple of months to get all the pieces, particularly on the model side, but we’ll definitely get back to you. Feel free to ping us if it takes too long for your taste!

Update: our newly-minted tutorials are available here: http://linked.earth/PyleoTutorials/

More advanced workflows (like the one proposed by Nikita above) will be developed and shared on PaleoBooks.

Happy Pyleocliming!

Hi,

I was wondering if there are functions in PyleoClim that can calculate the average temporal resolution and age control density of one or more time series. This is something that I can code up but looking for a preexisting function.

Thanks!

Hello Cal (the paleo gal),

Does resolution() do what you want? Right now it only exists for single Series objects, but @alexkjames has been threatening to implement it for MultipleSeries objects as well. If that is what you want, please upvote this issue.

Cheers
J.E.G.